Compare Home Contents and Buildings Insurance for the Over 50's.

Insurance companies have realised that those aged over 50 are less prone to household insurance claims so some insurers have started tailoring policies to those aged over fifty which people in their sixties, seventies and eighties can also benefit from. The aim of these home contents and buildings policies is to provide you with a lower insurance cost than a general house insurance policy open to all ages would cost. Below are details of some of the insurers that offer over 50's home insurance policies.


Receive up to £50 in John Lewis vouchers when you take outa new John Lewis Home Insurance policy and enter the vouchercode HOME8. Receive a £50 voucher with Classic Home Insurance or a £30 voucher with Flex Home Insurance.




Castle Cover

Castle Cover advertise as the 50 plus insurance specialists Castle Cover save their customers money on their home insurance because they specialise in buildings and contents cover for better risk, over 50s customers. Research by Consumer Intelligence in Q4 2009 showed that 10% of people over 50 could achieve savings of as much as £211 by switching their buildings and contents insurance to castle cover.



RIAS specialises in providing high quality, low cost home insurance for the over 50s. RIAS promise that if you find comparable home insurance cover at a better price within 3 months of taking out a policy, they will refund the difference providing a claim has not been made. Plus RIAS willl even reimburse you up to £25 if you’re charged for switching your home insurance policy to RIAS.



If it's not just price you're interested in then you might also be impressed with LV 5 star rated level of cover.


John Lewis

John Lewis Home Insurance offers comprehensive cover, including features and benefits that are not commonly found as standard on policies offered by other insurers. For example, policy includes unlimited Buildings and Contents Cover so as long as customers don’t own any valuables worth over £30,000 in total or £15,000 each.



Saga Home Insurance is designed for the over 50s and provides buildings cover up to £500,000 and contents cover up to £50,000 as standard. If you switch to Saga Home Insurance they will pay any standard transfer charges applied by your current insurer, up to £25, even if your home insurance is not yet due for renewal.


Principality Building Society

Customers taking out home insurance with Principality, not only get competitive premiums with a flexible range of cover, they also get a 15% discount when you buy online.


Marks & Spencer

There are almost no limits on the cover you get with M&S Home Insurance (apart from money and liability limits). So you don't have to put a price on all your possessions or worry about being underinsured and they are a which magazine recommended insurer.



By letting Endsleigh do the leg work for you, you can simply sit back and decide which of the 15+ cheap home insurance quotes available would suit your needs.


Legal & General

Add family legal protection to your home insurance and get up to £50,000 cover for £22.88.


Difference between contents and buildings insurance.

Buildings Cover - Buildings cover generally insures everything that is immovable about the property like the building itself, walls outbuildings, and bathroom fittings. A simple way to think of it is by imagining lifting your house up, turning it up and down and shaking it! The things that don’t move are likely to be part of your buildings insurance.

Contents Cover. The possessions that moved when you shook the house are likely to be covered by your contents insurance. Examples of items covered by contents insurance are furniture, televisions and electrical appliances, jewellery, clothes, bedding pictures and mirrors. Many people do not realise the value of their home contents and estimates suggest that in the average home the replacement cost of all contents would run to £45k if buying new.

Many insurers offer deals where you will get substantial discounts by taking out a combined policy with them rather than have different insurers for your contents and buildings insurance.

last update June 2012.

Household Insurance including buildings & contents for the over 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.